Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Revving up the China Threat/Discourses of Security in China

Regarding the "Revving up the China Threat" I had a question on the first event discussed in the document. I was unsure of what it was meant by the "resolution of issues concerning the Taiwan Strait" and was wondering if you'd be able to clear that up for me? Thank you.

Upon first reading the Revving up the China threat article, my reaction is that I see the points that are being made, but I don't really see any evidence backing up those points. What is being constituted as a threat can be seen as legitimate however, because why would a country amp up its military without preparing for some action. It would be seemingly pointless to do so. Though this can also be seen as an overraction by the United States Government in constituting China as a threat for those reasons. In the part about Rumsfield I see him simply telling why the US thinks China is a threat, but without solid evidence provided. In a part of the article, it states that the US should supress any country that is seemingly a threat to become a global power, which can seem a bit ridiculous. But if looked at from the other side, it can be seen as simply protecting the country from a threat becoming reality. When you first read the article, the first ideas list why China is a threat, without sufficient reasoning but as you go on, the author gives several reasons. First, China's weaponry in the past was completely obsolete, but recently they have purchased new weapons from Russia that make them more of a military threat than they had ever been. Also, China has struck deals with numerous countries for petroleum imports, which also poses a threat to the the US. Not only because the US relies on petroleum heavily, but the Chinese could be using this for it's military. Though in the beginning I think it is a bit ridiculous to assume no countries threaten China because as the US is strengthening it's forces, it can be seen as a threat. I think that US leaders are acting conventionally as they are looking for the best interest in protecting the country, by trying to appeal to the people and making the China situation known as well as taking security to the next level.

Zhang acknowledges that China not only had recognized the traditional aspects of how security is handled, but also the non-traditional. However, he also recognizes that China has become a security threat for other countries for quite some time now. Now because China wants to be linked in the global market, other countries have increasingly noticed this threat. Though America sees China as a threat, elitists in China have been analyzing how the US has become a threat to them in the sense of global power.

The second article was much more difficult to understand than the first, however I found it interesting, I'm finding it difficult answering the questions provided.

No comments: