Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Labor Rights in China

Kernaghan explains to the Senate the work conditions that laborers in China work in, as well as the pay the receive. The conditions described are appalling, working in "sauna" -like atmospheres, and sadly these conditions are similar in all the situations presented. The pay structure for the factory workers is similar as well. For the most part, these people are getting paid under the minimum wage required by law in China. Also, they do not receive overtime for the overtime that they work, which is a constant thing. Though Kernaghan did go to Congress with all this information, giving light to these conditions in China, I don't think much will be done to correct this. I think that maybe it will be publicized a little more, however I highly doubt that action will be taken. I think the Senate knows that without these workers companies will falter and no longer be able to produce the way they are now. Though I do not agree with this, I do think it will be the reality of the outcome of the situation.

As a result of the situation China is in regarding the labor situation, it is sadly benefitting the world economy as a whole. The actors described in this situation are all the countries who allow outsourcing of labor to China. They are helping the economy in China, however they are allowing the laborers there to be exploited. Surprisingly however, it is the Chinese government that is looking to rectify the situation, though the plans they have to go about doing so do not seem like they will help much, if any.

No comments: