Saturday, February 23, 2008

Living with reform.../Documentary

The main classes in China are the elite class, the middle class, and the poor. The elite class enjoy lots of luxuries, which don't include working in a factory. For the most part, these are people of the party, or the children of people of the party. The middle class is the biggest class of people in China, and while they aren't as rich as the elite class, they still have many luxuries afforded to them, and they live a life that the working class strive for. The poor are those living in the countryside, who come to work in cities to make wages, more than they would make where they are from. The working class has it the hardest as they are poor and they are the ones, as seen in the documentary, that work in the awful factories.

There are no questions for the documentary, so i'll just respond to it.

I have to say, I thought this documentary was so interesting. It was very eye opening to the labor abuse in China, more than any piece of literature I could ever read. Seeing a first hand account of how a girl, who is just a year younger than I am, working and living on her own is interesting, and at the same time sad. I also think that it is unbelievable that nothing is being done about the violation of labor laws in China. The inspections made by foreign businessmen are ridiculous and when they showed an account of it, it was unbelievable how those people rarely found anything wrong. For the most part, I think this goes without saying that they don't want to find anything wrong because then they can't buy from this cheap source. It's also unbelievable how little these people get paid for how much work they do, and how employers get away with it. But the thing is because there are no regulations in China for workers, and they can't have unions, legally employers can get away with it. I can't seem to undersstand how this can go on without regulation from the government, but also why they would ever make strikes and unions illegal?.. It seems absurd.
Also, in the film, the girls said they paid for their food and dorm, but it was ridiculous how much they paid for how little they got in return, and the idea of a midnight snack being free because they worked overtime.. was ridiculous.

No comments: